Monday, January 25, 2010

Pet Memoir

I'm a writer. After years in marketing and advertising, I now write stories for myself - some are fictional; some are memoirs for family and friends.

Last year, I self-published a short tale, "Tao of Ruby", the story of my friend Davy's 17 year-old Parson Jack Russell terrier. The inspiration came when I received a heartwrenching e-mail from him telling of her passing (or so he thought at the time). It was so full of raw emotion that I decided to create a memoir for him immortalizing Ruby's glorious life.

I began editing his story when I received a second e-mail from Davy announcing, "Miracle of miracles...she's ALIVE!" Crying and laughing, we spoke and I shared my idea with him. He loved it, especially since Ruby was approaching her 18th birthday. He sent me photos and I began creating the book of her life. It was completed six weeks before Ruby's beautiful spirit left this earth. Davy loved it - especially with his name listed as the author. Afterall, it's his story.

"Tao of Ruby" can be viewed and purchased at the Blurb bookstore - just click on the Blurb link.

4 comments:

  1. Jan really has a keen eye for text and graphics and how to integrate them; layout, grouping even the smallest detail pops off her pages. There is a happy interplay with all her ideas and she'll sweep you along to great results as she did in our collaboration on 'TAO OF RUBY'. It's a gift, really, honed in that ad world over an extensive and productive career.

    Jan, I'm looking foward to this blog and I hope folks sign on as I did. The results have been wonderful for me, and our book is a marvel!

    Dave McCauley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful tale of a true story of man and his dog what a great and moving story.
    Please write more of these tales we all need good stories like these in our lives great work Janice keep writing good luck with your new book.
    Hope its a great success for you. Steve Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan,
    Can't wait read more. Your writing reminds me why I love you and miss you. I think of you often, even though I might not communicate often enough.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan,
    It should read: CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE. Now you know why I am not a writer! Still love you.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete